Chronicle – Not What You’d Expect

Photo Credit: http://entremundos.com.br/revista/files/2012/02/Chronicle-poster-filme.jpg

Elisa Mattingly, Sophomore Reviews Writer

When you are going in to see the movie Chronicle, you are expecting an exciting action movie with tons of destruction centered around three teenage boys who were mysteriously given super powers. This is what you get, but with so much more. Chronicle is an intense action movie with surprising depth. The movie follows the journey of three teenagers who go through a mysterious experience in which the power to move things, including their own bodies, with their minds is thrust upon them. The expected enjoyment of the power begins but as time goes on, the consequences of the power they were given are revealed.
In the beginning, the movie presents Andrew, a troubled boy who has made the decision to film everything in his life from now on. The movie is filmed from the point of view of Andrew’s camera which adds a bit of a documentary sense to the film and gives it a much more real feel. The longer the movie goes on, the more you get into it. “I liked how [the movie] showed how people change when things happen,” says junior Wally Lent. Chronicle not only shows the phases of troubled Andrew’s turbulent life but also the changes three relatively different boys go through when their lives take a dramatic and seemingly positive turn.
Once the boys receive their powers the movie takes on a light hearted feel but slowly becomes darker as the powers take their toll on them, especially on Andrew. The movie has thrilling, enjoyable elements but also the more-than-occasional disturbing and twisted moments that will stay in your mind for hours. Shocking plot twists will leave you speechless and wondering what could possibly happen next and there’s really no way you are going to be able to predict the ending.
Chronicle is exactly the action movie you will be expecting; a disturbing look at what can happen when the completely unexpected occurs, the progression of an extremely unique friendship, and the heartbreaking story of a misunderstood boy who just wants to be accepted. It was a perfectly intense and exciting movie with excellent casting and an amazing plot but with one downfall in the eyes of sophomore Jordan Martin: “I didn’t like the fact that so many people died.” Well, that’s what you get when you go to see a movie like Chronicle.