Charity at Leonardtown High School

Image Source: Getty Images

Ayana Leblans, Senior Staff Writer

Here at Leonardtown High School, there are many charitable organizations. For all of them, their goal is to contribute volunteer efforts, community service, and to have fun all the while. Let’s take a look at a few of the volunteering-related clubs at our school.

In terms of specifics events, there were several charity efforts at LHS during this school year alone. Olivia Mckenzie and Claire Broadhead scheduled toy drives so that patients at the Children’s Hospital could have Christmas gifts; similarly, students Brie Beavan, Sydney Hertzog, and Alex Grantland collected toys that were then donated to Toys for Tots, with the goal in mind of giving presents to children in need. The Key Club held a clothing drive that was organized by Imprint’s own Veronica Fernandez. Clothing of all seasons was collected and donated locally to the non-profit organization Planet Aid. 

Additionally, the freshmen class collected shoe boxes filled with toiletries for the Three Oaks Center’s WARM program. In this program, those without homes are temporarily hosted during the winter and are provided with many resources to improve their quality of life.

The guidance office hosts a Christmas Family for LHS families in need every year. This family lists necessary items for their children, along with personal wants, so that students at our high school can help fulfill their holiday needs. Several groups come together for this event and donate, including Key Club, Interact Club, LEO Club, GSA, NHS, GIS, Staff Teams, and more.

One of the largest clubs at Leonardtown that is committed to community service is the LEO club. Founded in 1957, the LEO club- which stands for leadership, experience, and opportunity-is a part of Lions Club International, a service organization headquartered in Illinois. The club meets in Mrs. Law’s room on Wednesdays and participates in clothing drives and other community service events.

Another club focused on volunteering and community is Best Buddies. Members of this club are paired with a fellow high school student with special needs to build friendships and spread awareness of disabilities in our community. The club meets monthly on varying dates. 

But that isn’t anywhere near all of the clubs that help our community become a more charitable place. The Interact Club, Raider Buddies, and SCA all participate in community and school service. And although there are many reasons to be generous and giving during the Christmas season, service should happen year-round.

Are there any clubs that we forgot? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers, so feel free to write us a letter or send us an email. Stay charitable!