How to be a Good Student

Kaitlynn Zacher, Junior Staff Writer

School is a stressful yet very important time. You play a spring sport, plus take four APs and work at your family-owned restaurant on the weekends, that’s a big workload. However, there are many things a person can do to become a “Good Student”, and help manage that workload. Here are some tips. 

One thing to learn as a person is time management. As a high school student, I know, personally, that a lot of people struggle with this. Especially if they are in a relationship. “How do I juggle my social life, and school life? And my job?” I’ve seen a lot of people get confused on what to do or how to do this. 

Your academic success should be your main priority. Friends and partners should come second to any work you have to finish. Knowing due dates and taking them into close consideration is important for finishing assignments on time. If you have a week to finish a bio project, do a little each night, don’t wait until that very night before it’s due to complete it. Therefore, if you work an hour or so each night on the project, you have made less room for error, and creatively came up with ideas along the way that will show numerically for your final grade. 

Secondly, is knowing yourself. What is an appropriate workload for you? I know, personally, that I probably could not handle another AP class along with the three I’m already taking, but some people can. Can you handle a job, along with your school life and homework that comes along with it? Finding out about restraints within yourself is a hard thing to do, but it’s crucial. 

Third, being a good student comes along with extracurriculars. I already mentioned this, but signing up/participating in additional school activities helps teach responsibility, and just looks good overall. In this school, there is literally club for everything. I am in two academic clubs, including being a cabinet member for freshman academy. So, I have two clubs, three APs, a job, and still am maintaining a 4.0. I want to go to college, so showing those recruiters that I am able to maintain good grades while involving myself in different activities proves to them that I am a well-rounded student, which is what they want! Even if you don’t want to attend college, being involved in your school still makes for a better experience. 

Next, check with your guidance counselor periodically. They are here for you! They can help with just about anything, and meeting up with them for even ten minutes just to go over your grades, or maybe some weak areas you have and ways to improve can help you a ton. 

Lastly; organization! For school, I have never struggled with organization, but a lot of people do! At home, now that’s a different story, but I always make school my first priority, so wrestling with myself internally, with my ability to find materials for various classes has never been a problem of mine. If you are a person that does struggle, find methods that benefit you. If you’re a visual person, color-code things. Find different colored folders and use one for each class, use a planner, color code your notes, do something. Being properly organized is so important, and it’s a good habit to get into at a young age.