Transition From Warm to Cold- How to Thrive in the Fall and Winter

Rhea Brown, Junior Staff Writer

As temperatures drop and the leaves turn vibrant orange and brown, it is clear that fall is here. While autumn and winter means cozy sweaters and hot chocolate, it can also have its negatives. Here are four tips on how to make the colder months your time to shine.

Get Ahead of the Clock

On Sunday, November 3rd the clocks will move back, and as a result we will gain an hour. As humans, we typically tend to center our lives around the clock. We subconsciously set a daily routine, and once this routine gets messed up, so do our brains. To avoid this post daylight savings mania, prepare for the shift ahead of time. Try to write out your routine and how the time change might affect it.

Dress For Success

Winter and Fall means the end of shorts season, and that it’s time to pull out those sweaters and jackets! However, in a school where the AC in unpredictable, it is important to layer up. Try wearing a tee shirt with a hoodie or jacket on top. In warm classrooms take off your jacket and in chilly classrooms, just slip on that hoodie. Dressing for the temperature will make focusing throughout your day much easier, and improve your comfort overall.

Stay Sickness Free

The colder months are infamous for bringing fevers and stuffy noses with them. Your chances of getting sick are even bigger when you’re spending all day with hundreds of other students each carrying their own nasty germs. To avoid getting sick, keep the air around you moist, as most stuffy noses are caused by dry nasal passages. You can do this by putting a humidifier in your room at night. Also be sure to keep up the daily exercise and maintain a balanced diet. Pairing this with dressing for success will ensure you’ll make it through this year sickness free!

Make the Season Count 

Fall and Winter are some of the best seasons to spend time with the people that mean the most to you. The cold weather seems to have a way of bringing people together. From Thanksgiving dinner to spending Winter break with your friends, there are plenty of opportunities to show the most important people in your life how much they mean to you. To make the most of the season, tell these people that you love them and ensure you surround yourself with positive influences.

I hope you enjoyed these tips on how to make Fall and Winter the best seasons of the year. Have a great rest of your year!