2019 Blockbusters

2019 Blockbusters

Rhea Brown, Sophomore Staff Writer

2019 is expected to be a year full of some exciting movies. Here are a few coming soon to a theater to you…

Glass

Release Date: January 18, 2019

The companion to the hit movie Split, the film follows “M. Night Shyamalan brings together the narratives of two of his standout originals—2000’s Unbreakable, from Touchstone, and 2016’s Split, from Universal—in one explosive, all-new comic-book thriller: Glass. Following the conclusion of Split, Glass finds Dunn pursuing Crumb’s superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men.” -IMDb

Captain Marvel

Release Date: March 8

“Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races.” -IMDb

Avengers: Endgame

Release Date: April 26

“Adrift in space with no food or water, Tony Stark sends a message to Pepper Potts as his oxygen supply starts to dwindle. Meanwhile, the remaining Avengers — Thor, Black Widow, Captain America and Bruce Banner — must figure out a way to bring back their vanquished allies for an epic showdown with Thanos — the evil demigod who decimated the planet and the universe.” -IMDb

The Sun is Also a Star

Release Date: May 17

Based on the New York Times best selling novel, the film follows “Natasha and her family have less than 24 hours before they are scheduled to be deported from New York to Jamaica. Further complications soon arise when Natasha meets and falls in love with Daniel, the son of Korean immigrants.” -IMDb

Toy Story 4

Release Date: June 24

The final instalment and long awaited companion to the original Toy Story movie series, the film follows “When a new toy called “Forky” joins Woody and the gang, a road trip alongside old and new friends reveals how big the world can be for a toy.” -IMDb

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Release Date: July 5

“Peter Parker’s relaxing European vacation takes an unexpected turn when Nick Fury suddenly shows up in his hotel room. Parker soon finds himself donning the Spider-Man suit to help Fury stop the evil Mysterio from wreaking havoc across the continent.” -IMDb

The Lion King

Release Date: July 19

From Disney Live Action, director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.” -IMDb

It: Chapter Two

Release Date: September 6

The sequel to the highly anticipated 2017 It, this horror flick  follows “The evil clown Pennywise returns 27 years later to torment the grown-up members of the Losers’ Club”

Joker

Release Date: October 4

Based on the classic DC Comics book villain the film follows “A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.” -IMDb This film is the first in a DC series completely separate from the pre-existing DC universe.

Star Wars: Episode IX

Release Date: December 20

Star Wars: Episode IX is an upcoming American epic space opera film produced, co-written and directed by J. J. Abrams. It will be the third installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy and the ninth and final installment of the main Star Wars film franchise.” -Wikipedia