Marching Band

Marching+Band

Sydney Bokenhagen, Freelance Writer

Marching band has proven to be so much more than an “extracurricular activity” for many people including myself. This program has provided me a family that I’ve grown closer with each year. Coming into high school can be an extremely stressful time, and I was honestly scared for what was going to happen once I arrived. By joining the band, I got to come to LHS a month early during band camp. I became familiar with the school before freshman year even began and had an easy time transitioning into classes. Ever since that year, I have continued to be a part of this wonderful community and I have watched others go through the same experiences I have as they join. Not only is a marching band just a sport or an art; it is a passion. The experience we get while performing with one another is not something you get to have everyday in your life; the fact that we are all present because we share a love of music brings amazing outcomes. Not only do we represent Leonardtown High School at football games and parades, but we represent the community here in southern Maryland as we travel to compete against other schools who share the same passion as us.

We as students spend hundreds of hours perfecting a 10-15 minute field show that continues to grow each week. The program also allows students to grow as individuals and bring out the best in all of us. I have witnessed members go from not knowing a single thing about music to suddenly picking up an instrument because we are encouraged by each other. Joining marching band has been a wild experience, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.Not only have I grown with my classmates but I’ve met people I would have never imagined being friends with and I’ve gotten to work with a teacher who truly connects with his students. If anyone is ever finding themselves in need of a new experience or something to add to their schedule, I would highly recommend contacting Mr. Martin about a interest in joining the band. Not only do we connect with each other throughout each season, but we have fun in the process. This program is something that has inspired me and I will hold it in my heart forever.