Covering Capstones

Covering+Capstones

Rhea Brown, Sophomore Staff Writer

The GIS of class of 2019 has just concluded one of the final steps of their Capstone projects, an occasion that brings joy and tremendous stress relief. For these students, the Capstone project is much more than your average presentation. Instead, it is the embodiment of all their rigorous academic efforts of the last couple of years. The Capstone is based off one essential research question that each student can choose themselves. This question is typically one with deep real world ties, and deals with relevant issues today. For the senior class, the Capstone project was composed of multiple parts. Each student had to choose between a student service project that connects back to the research topic or a task force paper, composed with research on policy options for the chosen topic. All students also had a mandatory presentation on their topic in front of panelists, where they got feedback on their work.

So with all of this is mind, you may be asking yourself; What type of research topic could you possibly use for such a big project? Well Arianna Koch, a GIS senior, explored the topic of “Youth Unemployment in the United States.” When asked about her Capstone, Arianna gushed about her many findings and her overall experience with her project. After her paragraphs of anecdotes and research conclusions, she stated “I kinda went into depth a little too much…happens when you spend over 300 days with the same darn topic.” This quote exemplifies the significance of Capstone, and what a milestone it is for these students. After all the research, she concluded that a large part of the problem with youth unemployment comes from their not being enough training options for the youth on a national scale, along with a lack of equal opportunity. This is part of the reason Capstone is so significant, as it forces students to analyze the world around them in a way they’ve never seen it before.