Endless Opportunities

Endless+Opportunities

Katharine Cognard-Black, Staff Writer

Have you ever been to a Leonardtown High School ROSE player’s production? Have you ever wanted to act on a stage or work with a light board or even make elaborate costumes? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this article is for you. If you answered no, then sit down and get ready to be absorbed into a wonderful world of theatrical knowledge.

Leonardtown High School has more acting opportunities this year than ever before. The ROSE players are, this year, taking a stab at the Shakespearian side of theatre with their fall show Much Ado about Nothing, a witty drama about flirting, hate, cheating, chastity, and love. The shows premiers in the LHS Theatre on October 28th and continues on the 29th, and 30th. Bring your friends and family.

Interested? On October 31st, you can audition for The Glass Menagerie, a daring drama, with an intimate cast. On November 1st there will be open auditions for a series of student directed one acts whose titles are to be announced. These one acts are shorter and more relaxed than such a large production as Much Ado About Nothing, a perfect segway into the art for newcomers and veterans alike.

After last year’s smash hit Legally Blonde, the ROSE players are moving on to The Adams Family for the coming spring. Auditions for this spooky and beloved show will be held on the 16th of November.

Soon after, auditions for the 3rd winter cabaret will begin. Like the one acts, this show is not as involved as a full-fledged production. You will be able to perform a short skit, song or monologue at this festive holiday-themed variety show and fundraiser.

If you love theatre but are not comfortable acting, you can also participate in tech i.e. making costumes, working the sound or light board, managing money and tickets, doing make up, or helping make sets for the shows.

There are a multitude of LHS theatre opportunities and there are always places for newcomers to get involved. As a veteran of three years and Vice President of LHS’ Thespian Society, I can tell you this is a loving place that fosters confidence, creativity, and development of your performance skills.