• We intend to serve the school’s community in an honest manner, embody the people of LHS, and be a pillar of news in our community.

Leonardtown Baseball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leonardtown Baseball

Drake Thomas, Junior Staff Writer

Coming off a very strong season finishing 20-6 and runner-up in the SMAC championship, the Leonardtown Varsity baseball team is poised and ready to run through anyone that stands in their way this year.  After losing 6 seniors, Leonardtown is built around their young core of a majority of juniors, one sophomore, and one new freshman catcher. The boys are motivated from their rough exit of the season last year and are excited to get back at it this season.

It is always difficult at the beginning of the year to actually get on the field and get to work.  Indoor practices and hitting practices are likely in the beginning of the year and it helps team chemistry more than anything, but it can frustrate players when they do not see the field until their first scrimmage or game.  In Leonardtown’s first scrimmage against Patuxent High School, you could tell they needed more practice on the field because of the amount of errors they made, especially in the infield. Several double plays were missed and plenty of poor decisions and throws.  After grinding out the win, thanks to two triples and a great closing pitching performance from Senior, Nick Burch, head coach, Chris Schoenbauer made sure to let them know that they needed to get back on the field to practice before opening day comes.

After losing in the Regional Finals last season, the boys are on a mission this year.  Assistant Coach Zachery Bush says he wants to be the last team practicing in May. The team is looking to be atop of their division again this year but will have a tough journey there.  Some key games are their 3-game home stretch in early April against Stone, then Pax, and finishing with Northern. In mid-April, they have to travel to Chopticon and then battle Huntingtown back-to-back.  The Raiders are looking forward to Spring Break where they will travel to Baltimore for the “Bruce H. Sider Invitational” tournament. The 4 seniors will have their senior day on Monday, April 29th against SMCA and I know  they are excited for that.

The Raiders want you to show out and support their journey this year.  State Finals are always the goal, but they just want to go one step further than the previous year.  Their motivated and ready to go, wish them luck, and always GO RAIDERS!

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

Society Today

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

Seniors, Are You Ready?

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

How to Get Better Grades

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

How to Deal with Harassment and Suicide

• Leonardtown Baseball

Arts, Entertainment, and Reviews

Fortnite and Fantasy Football: What’s the Appeal?

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

Crack-Cocaine

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

Best Dogs for First-Time Owners

• Leonardtown Baseball

Sports

Becoming a College Athlete

• Leonardtown Baseball

Student Life

Dating Violence

• Leonardtown Baseball

Op/Ed

The Situation in Myanmar

Leonardtown Baseball