Finishing the Year Off Strong

Hailey Springer, Junior Staff Writer

The 2015-2016 school year is finally coming to an end, and I know that everyone’s thankful for that, especially our seniors. Yes, everyone is tired, but with the end of the year comes the tons of end-of-the-year projects that no one really wants to do. But they do exist, and they can stand as significant grades for you, either for the worse or the better.

For the majority of us, AP tests are done, which means that your are done with class instruction. At this point, with the bulk of the work and worry over with, you’re probably having a hard time trying to stay focused in these last few weeks. Remember, don’t lose focus; if you get good grades on these last few assignments, your grades can rise dramatically.

To help out, here are a few tips to help you keep focused during these last few weeks.

1. Get Organized. Many students, from first graders to high school seniors, perform better if they are organized. The earlier you realize this, the better. Begin with your notebooks and locker. Although the year is just about over, the final stretch is still pivotal. Staying in an order can help you get through it. Knowing where all of your stuff is can help you prioritize what is most important and what needs to go first.
  2. Set a Schedule. When you are given all of your end-of-year projects, look at which one is due first. From there, create a schedule outlining all the work you need to finish and their dreaded due-dates. Not only will this maintain some structure in the end-of-year chaos, but it’ll give you the satisfaction of crossing each project and test off your to-do list.
  3. Be Consistent. As last-minute projects stack up, you’ll need to try and work on them as consistently as possible without falling too far behind. Yes, it is a tall order but, that’s not to say that you need to put all your fun end-of-year activities on hold. It’s okay– healthy, really– to take breaks, but don’t let yourself fall too far behind. Falling too far behind will open you to unnecessary stress, the kind you thought you left behind after AP testing and EOCs. It’s the last thing you want to have this close to the end of the year.

Raiders, the real key is balance and dedication. While that may be far easier to be said than done, keep in mind that most of you have been at this for a few years. You have overcome this end-of-the-year hump before. You have made to greener days in the summer. We’re nearly there; all we have to do is finish strong.