The Legacy that He Left…

Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Guenter Schiffmann

Isaiah Breedlove, Sophomore Writer

Colin Powell was a trailblazing military leader and was the first African-American secretary of the state who sadly passed away due to complications of Covid-19 at the age of 84 years old. Today we’ll take a look into his life and the legacy he had left for generations to follow and demonstrate that no matter what you can do what you set your heart to and become almost anything you want.

Colin Powell was the son of two Jamaican immigrants that moved to Bronx to find new life in America. This was hard on his financial and social standing; he came from close to nothing growing up in a neighborhood with drug dealers around the corner and with shootings sounding like the fireworks of the fourth of July. With many challenges he faced growing up he had to persevere through these times he had to stay out of trouble and survive to create a new and find new beginnings. This was how he was able to rise up the ranks of the military and start to fight for equality of minorities in the military, and then eventually the United States. 

I write this to honor his name, so that his legacy is not forgotten and for people to know that you can achieve what you want no matter where you start to make a change like he did, do something that when you look back there will be no regrets and that you’re proud of your choices.