College Websites: Do They Help or Hinder?

Ayana Leblans, Senior Staff Writer

As of last school year, the class of 2020 has been thinking about one thing: graduation. Should you join the military, attend college, start a career immediately after graduating, take a gap year, maybe attend a trade school? The possibilities are nearly endless. For those who choose to pursue college, new systems are created each year, seemingly to make the college application process as difficult as possible. But are they really a bother? Perhaps they really do expedite the application process so that seniors can focus on enjoying their last year at Leonardtown High School.

The main website to be discussed is the well-known Common Application. Also known as the Common App, it has become so widely used that many students deliberately do not apply to schools that collect applications in any other way, like through Coalition or directly through the institution’s website. When creating a common application, it’s easy to give information about career goals, high school academics, familial ties, and more to several colleges at once without the hassle of writing the same information over and over. The Common App also stores sensitive information like one’s social security number securely. The cons of using the Common App are that it is too easy to apply to schools that do not align with one’s interests and career goals, as many may get caught up in the simplicity of adding a school to a list. According to CollegeRaptor, a company dedicated to helping high school students achieve academic excellence so that they can have a smooth transition from high school to college, another pro to using the Common App is that many schools will not disregard a student’s application simply because it’s easier to apply to many schools. This creates a disadvantage, however, as it generates a bigger sea of applicants to any given school. Since the Common App was integrated, college applications to all colleges and universities have skyrocketed, meaning that students must do more to stand out to college admissions officers.

LHS Imprint invites you, the reader, to write to us. Send us a letter stating your views surrounding the Common Application, and we may feature you in an article to come!