Coronavirus Movie Recommendations

Ayana Leblans, Senior Staff Writer

It would be an understatement to say that the world is going through quite a confusing period of time at the moment. Fear of the coronavirus (COVID 19), the cancellation of school and other important events, and the overall disruption in our daily lives has led many to fall victim to boredom, depression, and other unsustainable habits while practicing social distancing and self-quarantining. It is unclear how long Americans will be asked to stay in our homes, so we’ve come up with a list of movie recommendations to keep you and your families entertained, happy, and stimulated during this time. We have included ratings and the majority of these films can be found on major streaming platforms, so enjoy! We hope that you stay safe and healthy, so stay home whenever possible and wash your hands frequently.

1. Tiger King (TVMA): If you have yet to hear about Tiger King, you may not be bored enough to need this list at all. A new true crime documentary-series about large cat breeder Joe Exotic and enemy Carole Baskin, the tabloid feel of this show is just the escape that you may need to cope with current circumstances.
  2. Forrest Gump (PG-13): Whether you are in need of a lesson in modern American history or just need a good laugh, Forrest Gump is a great classic for all to enjoy. Widely regarded as one of the greatest movies of the past 50 years, this movie follows the life of Forrest Gump through his childhood, the Vietnam War, his tumultuous love life and, ultimately, fatherhood.
  3. The Breakfast Club (R): The Breakfast Club is an extremely notable high school movie with excellent script and acting that highlights the struggles of being a teenager, and anyone who has yet to see it should take the time to now.
  4. Mean Girls (PG-13): Although not very realistic, Mean Girls is a great movie to watch to remember what actually going to school felt like. In the iconic 2000s movie, main character Cady Heron navigates high school life after previously being homeschooled.
  5. Pocahontas (G): Need a reminder of what nature looks like? Watch Pocahontas and dive into Disney’s version of historical figure Pocahontas’ life and adventures with John Smith. The nostalgia of watching an old Disney princess movie and seeing familiar characters will likely provide comfort in what may be a stressful and exhausting time for many people.