Attending Sporting Events

Jack Getty, Staff Writer

The school year is in full swing, and so are the sports. For returning students, sporting events are something they look forward to during their summer break. For upcoming freshmen and students who don’t want to attend, you are probably wondering: what’s so great about high school sports? Or why should I attend a volleyball or football game? High school games to me are pivotal moments in a person’s life. It’s a great way to take a break from all the homework that teachers assign you and it’s also a great way to meet new friends and show off your school pride. One of my favorite memories from high school happened this year at the Leonardtown vs Ryken soccer scrimmage. Walking down to the Leonardtown fan section and seeing an ocean of blue got me so hyped for the game and just being there and watching the boys win 4-0 was so unbelievable. It was unlike any other game I had been to.

This is my personal experience when it comes to sports. But there are many reasons why people should attend sports. People should attend because the athletes are giving their absolute best in their respected games. As an athlete myself, I can’t tell you how much it helps to motivate, not only myself, but my team when we walk out and see our bleachers full of kids and parents cheering us on. And more importantly, it’s just a good time. The feeling of being surrounded by your school, and having pride in your school is indescribable. It’s all about making new friends, meeting up with old friends, just having a fun time and enjoying a good game. Win or lose it’s always a great experience going to any sporting event at LHS, and that is definitely one thing that I’m going to miss next year when I graduate. Not just playing or watching sporting events but the entire atmosphere. Don’t waste time not going to sporting events. Soon they’ll be over and gone and so will your chance to make amazing memories and friends at high school. Have a good time, make memories and new friends and attend a sporting event.