First Quarter Gone, Second Quarter Here

Report Card --- Image by © Scott Speakes/Corbis

© Scott Speakes/Corbis

Report Card — Image by © Scott Speakes/Corbis

Skylar Broome, Senior Editor

With the second quarter rolling the school into a fresh start and report cards finally being posted onto the home access center, now is the time to celebrate hard work—or to try and sort through that disappointment that might be turning one’s stomach upside down.

Fortunately, since it’s only the beginning of the year, there is plenty of time to get back on track for previously set goals and expectations. The first step, as it is for any path of improvement, is that of self-reflection. What went wrong? What was it that I wasn’t expecting that tripped me up so much?

The beginning of the year is often a hard time for everyone, so try not to get too discouraged. If a class was harder than anticipated, you now know how much time to set aside in the evening to study for it. If you’ve perhaps been trying to work past your summer mindset, figure out the best methods that would get you to sit down and do your homework.

One of the best ways to avoid such distractions that might keep one from doing their work is to get in not only the right mind-frame, but to also find the right environment. School is often the best place to do your homework—going to the library during lunch to have a quiet time to work proves beneficial for many students. Aiding periods are a great time to catch up on reading rather than catching up on some relaxation time.

That isn’t to say relaxation isn’t important. A student’s day should not be filled with hours upon hours of work. When it comes down to it, if you aren’t done with your homework and it’s nearing midnight—sleep is the wisest choice not only for your physical health, but your mental health as well.

It is a well-known fact that sleep offers your body the time it needs in order to do necessary work to keep your brain rejuvenated. If you don’t sleep, you’re forcing your body to work overtime as it tries to do all the things it is meant to all while you’re awake and doing other tasks.

This goes for thought processes as well. One of the best ways to ensure you will be focused in class is definitely to get enough rest the night before, so if the first quarter consisted of a painful cycle of trying to readjust to a new sleep schedule, the second quarter offers a chance to solidify that. You may be surprised at the improvements in your grades.

All in all, it’s about finding the balance that’s best for an individual. What works for one won’t necessarily work for another person. The first quarter offered that time to get those things straight; at the very least it offered the time to learn what wasn’t working.

School is a huge responsibility, so the pressure to get it right on the first try is often unreasonable. Just keep your head high and keep going; you’re doing great.