Leonardtown Raiders Fall Sports Preview

Kyle O'Rear and Ryan Morgan, Staff Writers

Boys’ Soccer

The LHS Boys Soccer team is ready to kick off another season, after winning SMAC twice in the last two years. Already the team has seen a good record with their preseason, going 2-0-2 as they have begun to find their pace and come together as a team. Most recently the team beat Ryken with a 3-0 score in their scrimmage.

Photo courtesy of Coach Holland
Photo courtesy of Coach Holland

As with any season, work has to be done and fine adjustments made. Coach David Holland went on to explain that “Practices have been going well. The team has worked very hard and we are making adjustments into a new formation this season.” Still, the team is melding together well under Coach Holland’s experience; and players like JP Zaorski, Will Leibler, Josh Porter, Trevor Young and Jeff Henkel represent the senior strength on the team, providing a strong foundation for the season.

Coach Holland is steering his team towards another SMAC title and has the goal of advancing past the regional finals in the state tournament, finally going on to say “Come out and see us play, it will be fun!!”. The Leonardtown boys are certainly shooting for another triumphant season and we here at the LHS Imprint would like to express on behalf of the student body all of our support here at Leonardtown High school. Come see these Raiders kick their way to victory! See these raiders next at Great Mills on Monday the 16th.

Go Raiders!

Football

The Leonardtown Raiders Football team is gearing up for another strong season. The raiders are returning to the field with a crop of 21 dedicated senior stars and many other skilled players throughout the team, all with one goal on their mind “making the playoffs”. While attending the games, be mindful  of the dedicated group, led by coach James Klenk. Though this is his first year as head coach, Klenk knows his team and has seven years of gridiron coaching experience under his belt and he knows how to bring it all together.

Coach Klenk understands he is lucky to have the group of hard hitting Raiders he does but he understands the challenges ahead as well, explaining “we have a talented and dedicated team but we need to continue to work hard in practice and transfer it over to games.”

Given the chance to express to the school and his team his appreciation, Coach Klenk went on to say “it is an absolute pleasure to be the head football coach for the Leonardtown high school. I know a great deal of students at LHS and it is an honor to represent the student body, teachers, staff and all those in the lhs family”.

On behalf of the student body, the LHS imprint would like to thank Coach Klenk and his motivated team and wish them the best of luck in this football season. Please come to the games and watch to see our Raiders rise to the challenge and continue on to greatness. See them next on Thursday as they play Potomac, here at Leonardtown.

Boys’ and Girls’ Cross-Country

The season for the Leonardtown High school cross country team is up and running. The team is running strong this season and the coach of the team, Richard Hageman, who has years of experience says that  “seeing his athletes strive and challenging themselves” is what keeps him coming back. He believes the team will become more courageous and their bond will become stronger.

The team consists of a good mix of upper and lower classmen. We asked Hageman which runners were his top performers and he didn’t single any one person out. He, instead, replied that there are very strong groups of runners on the boys and girls teams that will be big factors in the success of the team.

Upon asking Hageman for his predictions on the season he exclaimed that the team will be very competitive. He said that the runners get more competitive towards the end of the season near the championship races.

Hageman ended by saying to the team and the rest of the school; “Never stop dreaming, believe in yourself, and have the courage to take a chance.” We here at the LHS imprint believe the cross country team will have a great season! Go Raider Nation!

Adviser’s Note: Not all coaches could be reached by press time.