To Freshmen!

To Freshmen!

Isabelle Ashby, Staff Writer

As summer break comes to a close, you find yourself counting down the days right to the end- and you can’t help feeling edgy at the mention of a single word- school. Especially if you’re just starting high school, it can be nerve-racking just thinking about the first day. However, worry not! These small tips can hopefully get you into the swing of things here at high school.

Yes, it’s going to be scary starting your ninth year. And yes, you’re going to mess up a few times, here and there, for the first few weeks. But, don’t sweat it. You’re not alone. Everyone else is feeling the same way and you will be surprised at the amount of people roaming the hallways, searching for their next class.

In middle school, I’m sure you had your moments of messing around, chatting away with your buddies, and just brushing work off your shoulder. The quantity and quality of the work given was pretty lenient.

However, you need to remember that high school is the most important four years before proceeding onto other plans, like going to college. That said, you should take the opportunities handed to you and collect your credits in order to graduate. You can’t simply waste time, skip classes, and not do your work. School time is your time to learn– not sit there twiddling your thumbs. Not paying attention in class will not only be wasting your time, but your teacher’s time as well. And if you fall behind, it isn’t always a breeze to catch up with everyone again. Don’t treat your classes as a game.

Stressing out over work and class is a common feeling, and it’s going to last throughout all four years of high school. Especially if your week is packed with homework, extracurricular activities, and a job on the side. Once you learn to manage your time well, some of that stress will melt away. Here are some ideas on how to do that:

If you’re like me, you probably want to jump into bed the moment you get home from school. But there’s a load of homework waiting to be finished. You could do it late after you’ve woken up but it might be a bit overwhelming to get it all finished in one go. And if there’s more work than you anticipated, you could lose some sleep.

So take every opportunity you can during the school day to get some work done. Don’t sit there idly, goofing off or talking with friends. You could grab your homework out of your bag and actually be productive. The hour-long lunch period is also a perfect time to get a head start on your pile of homework. The solution here is obvious. Don’t procrastinate, and keep your priorities straight. Make sure to seize your opportunities; a main tip if you’re to survive high school.

If you’re bored, participate in sports, other extracurricular activities, or try volunteering. You can become more involved in your environment and community, meet up with old friends, and make new ones too. Volunteering is also a great item to put on college applications. And now, with one lunch, there are even more opportunities to get involved in your school community and learn more about what you love. To conclude, joining in the numerous activities that Leonardtown High School has to offer can really expand your experiences.

It’s also important to take care of yourself in high school. School in general can be a heavy weight on your shoulders. It can be a relentless wave of stress and work. Nevertheless, you mustn’t forget to look after your health. Make sure you eat a good, balanced breakfast, whether at home or at school. Start a healthy, nutritional diet and eat fruits and vegetables often. Don’t skip out on meals. No matter how unimportant you think it is, if you take the time to grab an apple or a granola bar, your body will thank you later.

But also remember to take breaks and treat yourself. Don’t try to take on more than you can handle. If you’re working hard and can’t focus anymore, take a break and relax. It’s good to have a break every now and then from your daily tasks.

Lastly, keep a smile on your face. This year will be full of trials and tribulations, stress and late nights, that math homework you forgot to do, sports games, and clubs. But, through it all, you should keep your head high, and try to stay positive. You won’t be alone, and nothing is quite as dreadful as you think.

Take these tips to heart, and your first year of high school will hopefully be a great one. I wish you good luck, and a happy school year!